As the saying goes, when life gives you lemons, make limoncello! 🙂
So, I decided to write a post that wasn’t going to make me cry today LOL. Last weekend after I came back from seeing my nephew off to the Philippines (you can read about it here), I got to see one of my besties which I totally needed after a few days of crying my eyes out. I mean, what better way to cheer up than the sun, some friends and limoncello?!
Also, learning how to make limoncello was on my spring/summer bucket list so I can mark that one off of my list!
Danielle’s suit: Zaful
My suit: I bought this exact one last year and it’s sold out (I’m sorry!) but I am linking similar, colorful styles with cutout detail here and here. Also, I shared some of my favorite one pieces under $100 here.
To my surprise, limoncello is so easy to make! However, this DIY recipe is not for the impatient as you must let it sit for about 4 weeks!
12 organic lemons
1 liter of 100 proof vodka
1 to 4 cups of simple syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
How to Make the Limoncello:
1. Wash lemons- I suggested buying organic lemons so that you won’t have to worry about pesticides since you will be using the lemon zest.
2. Zest the lemons with a vegetable peeler. Be careful not to remove the white pith. This will make your limoncello bitter.
3. Add the vodka into a large glass jar with lid (like a large mason jar)
4. Add lemon zest, close lid and store for 4 weeks in a cool dark place.
**check on limoncello and smell each day for 4 weeks. LOL, jk don’t do this. I just couldn’t help myself because it was staring me in the face every time I opened the pantry.
5. After 5 weeks, strain the vodka into a glass bottle. I found this cute flamingo one for $3 at Target!
6. Add 1 cup of the simple syrup to lemon mixture and taste. Gradually add in more simple syrup for your taste.
VOILA! Grab your friends and enjoy a pool day!